The CBEC has clarified issues relating to Taxability of Lottery Tickets under GST, i.e. classification for lottery in respective notifications shall be ‘Any Chapter’ of the First Schedule to the Customs Tariff Act, 1975 and tax on lottery should be paid accordingly at prescribed rates, 12% or 28%, as the case may be, as under:
1. Supply of lottery has been treated as supply of goods under the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017.
2. Accordingly, based on the recommendation of the GST Council, the GST rate for supply of lottery has been notified under relevant GST rate notification relating to CGST/IGST/UTGST/SGST. However, entries in the respective notifications mention classification for lottery as “-”.
3. In this connection, references have been received, inter-alia, stating that due to discrepancy in code allotted, i.e., lottery is defined as goods but code allotted for lottery is under services, the assessees are not able to upload return or deposit tax in time.
4. The matter has been examined. It should be noted that the process of filing return is linked with rate of tax specified for supply. Further, there is complete clarity about rate of tax on lotteries. As mentioned above, in GST, lottery is goods and the classification indicated in relevant notification for lottery is “-”, which means any chapter.
5. That being so, it is clarified that the classification for lottery in respective CGST, IGST, UTGST and SGST notifications shall be ‘Any Chapter’ of the First Schedule to the Customs Tariff Act, 1975 (51 of 1975) and tax on lottery should be paid accordingly at prescribed rates, 12% or 28%, as the case may be.