CBEC has notified revised/ reduced late fee for delayed filing of GSTR-3B, as recommended by GST Council. Taxpayers having Nil/ Some tax liability in a month shall pay late fee of Rs. 20/ 50 per day respectively (inclusive of late fee under CGST/ SGST) against existing Rs. 200/ day, from Oct. 2017 onwards. Further, CBEC has already waived late fee in respect of late filing of GSTR-3B for July to Sept. 2017.
G.S.R… (E):- In exercise of the powers conferred by section 128 of the Central Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (12 of 2017) (hereafter in this notification referred to as the said Act), the Central Government, on the recommendations of the Council, hereby waives the amount of late fee payable by any registered person for failure to furnish the return in FORM GSTR-3B for the month of October, 2017 onwards by the due date under section 47 of the said Act, which is in excess of an amount of twenty five rupees for every day during which such failure continues:
Provided that where the total amount of central tax payable in the said return is nil, the amount of late fee payable by such registered person for failure to furnish the said return for the month of October, 2017 onwards by the due date under section 47 of the said Act shall stand waived to the extent which is in excess of an amount of ten rupees for every day during which such failure continues.
Late Filing Fee GSTR-3B Waived for August/ Sept. 2017: CBEC Notification
CBEC has notified that late fee applicable in the case of registered taxpayers who failed to furnish Form GSTR-3B, within the prescribed timeline/ due date, for the month(s) of Aug. 2017 and/ or Sept. 2017, has been waived.
Also CBEC has issued a Press Release stating that in view of the difficulties being faced during the return filing process and in order to further facilitate taxpayers, the competent authority has decided to waive the late fee on filing of GSTR-3B for the months of August and September, 2017. The necessary software changes are being carried out in the IT system.
Further, that the late fee paid, if any, or to be paid to file return will be credited back to taxpayer’s cash ledger, i.e. the Electronic Cash Ledger of the taxpayers will be credited with the amount of late fee so paid by them, either for the month of August or September, 2017 or where the same is to be paid before the necessary changes are carried out in the IT system of the GSTN.
No Penalty on Late Filing of GSTR-3B (July 2017): CBEC Notification
CBEC has notified that no late filing fee shall be levied on taxpayers for delayed filing of GSTR-3B for the month of July 2017, i.e. filed beyond 28 Aug. 2017/25 Aug. 2017 where taxpayer is claiming/ not claiming the transitional ITC available as on 30 June 2017, as under:
G.S.R…. (E)– In exercise of the powers conferred by section 128 of the Central Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (12 of 2017), the Central Government, on the recommendations of the Council, hereby waives the late fee payable under section 47 of the said Act, for all registered persons who failed to furnish the return in FORM GSTR-3B for the month of July, 2017 by the due date.
CBEC Clarification on ‘No Waiver of Interest on Late Payment of Tax (GST)’ for the m/o July 2017
The CBEC has clarified that late filing fee of GSTR-3B for July 2017 has been waived for all tax-payers, however interest liability on late payment of GST has not been waived. It may be noted that last date for payment of GST for the month of July 2017 was 25 August 2017 for all taxpayers (i.e. claiming transitional ITC or otherwise) and the process of tax payment under GST is complete only when amount of tax payable is debited from electronic cash/ credit ledger.
1. The Goods and Services Tax (GST) tax was introduced on 1st of July 2017. The last date for payment of GST for the month of July 2017 was 25th August 2017. Payment of GST is complete only when amount of tax payable is debited from electronic cash/ credit ledger.
2. Now late fee for all taxpayers who could not file GSTR 3B for the month of July 2017 has been waived, but not the interest on late payment of Tax liability.
3. GSTR 1 is to be filed by all taxpayers by 5th of September 2017 and GSTR 2 and GSTR 3 to be filed by all taxpayers by 10th and 15th of September 2017 respectively.
4. Taxpayers who have committed errors in GSTR 3B will be able to put the correct details in GSTR 1-2-3. However, interest will be leviable from all taxpayers who have not discharged their complete Tax liability for July 2017 by 25-08-2017.
5. Furthermore, vide Circular dated 01-09-2017, procedure for systems based reconciliation of GSTR 1-2 with GSTR 3B has been clarified.