Provisions under Rule 10 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Issue of Registration Certificate”, are as under:
CGST Rule 10: Issue of Registration Certificate (Chapter-III: Registration Rules)
(1) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (12) of section 25, where the application for grant of registration has been approved under rule 9, a certificate of registration in FORM GST REG-06 showing the principal place of business and additional place or places of business shall be made available to the applicant on the common portal and a Goods and Services Tax Identification Number shall be assigned subject to the following characters, namely:-
(a) two characters for the State code;
(b) ten characters for the Permanent Account Number or the Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number;
(c) two characters for the entity code; and
(d) one checksum character.
(2) The registration shall be effective from the date on which the person becomes liable to registration where the application for registration has been submitted within a period of thirty days from such date.
(3) Where an application for registration has been submitted by the applicant after the expiry of thirty days from the date of his becoming liable to registration, the effective date of registration shall be the date of the grant of registration under sub-rule (1) or sub-rule (3) or sub-rule (5) of rule 9.
(4) Every certificate of registration shall be duly signed or verified through electronic verification code by the proper officer under the Act.
(5) Where the registration has been granted under sub-rule (5) of rule 9, the applicant shall be communicated the registration number, and the certificate of registration under sub-rule (1), duly signed or verified through electronic verification code, shall be made available to him on the common portal, within a period of three days after the expiry of the period specified in sub-rule (5) of rule 9.
1. In sub-rule (4), the words “digitally signed” substituted with the words “duly signed or verified through electronic verification code” vide Notification No. 7/2017 central Tax dt 27 June 2017 w.e.f. 22 June 2017.
It may be noted that the above information is based on Updated CGST Rules 2017 (amended upto 5th May 2020), as compiled/ shared by CBIC (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 5th May 2020 by the CBIC). However, for detailed/ official information and/ or subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications. E&OE
Further, it may be noted that CGST Rules 1 to 26 (pertaining to Chapters on items, like 'Preliminary', 'Composition' and 'Registration') were initially notified by CBIC vide Notification No. 3/2017 Central Tax dt. 19 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 22 June 2017 (or as may be specified in respective Rules).
|Section-wise/ Rule-wise Text of GST Acts/ Rules|
|CGST Act/ Definitions||CGST Rules|
|IGST Act/ Definitions||IGST Rules|
|UTGST Act/ Definitions||UTGST Rules|