Rule 41 of ‘Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules 2017’: Transfer of Input Tax Credit (ITC) on Sale, Merger, Amalgamation, Lease or Transfer of a Business
Provisions under Rule 41 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Transfer of Input Tax Credit (ITC) on Sale, Merger, Amalgamation, Lease or Transfer of a Business”, are as under:
CGST Rule 41: Transfer of Credit on Sale, Merger, Amalgamation, Lease or Transfer of a Business (Chapter-V: Input Tax Credit)
(1) A registered person shall, in the event of sale, merger, de-merger, amalgamation, lease or transfer or change in the ownership of business for any reason, furnish the details of sale, merger, de-merger, amalgamation, lease or transfer of business, in FORM GST ITC-02, electronically on the common portal along with a request for transfer of unutilized input tax credit lying in his electronic credit ledger to the transferee:
Provided that in the case of demerger, the input tax credit shall be apportioned in the ratio of the value of assets of the new units as specified in the demerger scheme.
Explanation:- For the purpose of this sub-rule, it is hereby clarified that the “value of assets” means the value of the entire assets of the business, whether or not input tax credit has been availed thereon.
(2) The transferor shall also submit a copy of a certificate issued by a practicing chartered accountant or cost accountant certifying that the sale, merger, de-merger, amalgamation, lease or transfer of business has been done with a specific provision for the transfer of liabilities.
(3) The transferee shall, on the common portal, accept the details so furnished by the transferor and, upon such acceptance, the un-utilized credit specified in FORM GST ITC-02 shall be credited to his electronic credit ledger.
(4) The inputs and capital goods so transferred shall be duly accounted for by the transferee in his books of account.
1. Explanation to sub-rule (1) inserted vide Notification 16/2019 Central Tax dt. 29 March 2019.
It may be noted that the above information is based on Updated CGST Rules 2017 (amended upto 18 July 2019), as compiled/ shared by CBIC (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 18 July 2019 by the CBIC). However, for detailed/ official information and/or subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications. E&OE
Further, it may be noted that Rules 27 to 138 (pertaining to various Chapters) of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 were initially notified by CBIC (CBEC) vide CGST (2nd Amendment) Rules, 2017 Notification No. 10/2017 Central Tax dt. 28 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 1 July 2017 (or as may be specified in respective Rules).
|Other GST Related Posts:|
|Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST):|
|CGST Act/ Definitions||CGST Rules|
|CGST Notifications||CGST Circulars|
|Integrated Goods and Services Tax (IGST):|
|IGST Act/ Definitions||IGST Rules|
|IGST Notifications||IGST Circulars|
|Union Territory Goods and Services Tax (UTGST):|
|UTGST Act/ Definitions||UTGST Rules|
|UTGST Notifications||UTGST Circulars|