Provisions under Rule 48 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Manner of Issuing Tax Invoice”, are as under:
CGST Rule 48: Manner of Issuing Invoice (Chapter-VI: Tax Invoice, Credit and Debit Notes)
(1) The invoice shall be prepared in triplicate, in the case of supply of goods, in the following manner, namely,-
(a) the original copy being marked as ORIGINAL FOR RECIPIENT;
(b) the duplicate copy being marked as DUPLICATE FOR TRANSPORTER; and
(c) the triplicate copy being marked as TRIPLICATE FOR SUPPLIER.
(2) The invoice shall be prepared in duplicate, in the case of the supply of services, in the following manner, namely,-
(a) the original copy being marked as ORIGINAL FOR RECIPIENT; and
(b) the duplicate copy being marked as DUPLICATE FOR SUPPLIER.
(3) The serial number of invoices issued during a tax period shall be furnished electronically through the common portal in FORM GSTR-1.
(4) The invoice shall be prepared by such class of registered persons as may be notified by the Government, on the recommendations of the Council, by including such particulars contained in FORM GST INV-01 after obtaining an Invoice Reference Number by uploading information contained therein on the Common Goods and Services Tax Electronic Portal in such manner and subject to such conditions and restrictions as may be specified in the notification.
(5) Every invoice issued by a person to whom sub-rule (4) applies in any manner other than the manner specified in the said sub-rule shall not be treated as an invoice.
(6) The provisions of sub-rules (1) and (2) shall not apply to an invoice prepared in the manner specified in sub-rule (4).
1. Sub-rules (4), (5) and (6) inserted vide Notification No. 68/2019-Central Tax dt. 13th December, 2019,
It may be noted that the above information is based on Updated CGST Rules 2017 (amended upto 5th May 2020), as compiled/ shared by CBIC (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 5th May 2020 by the CBIC). However, for detailed/ official information and/ or subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications. E&OE
Further, it may be noted that Rules 27 to 138 (pertaining to various Chapters) of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 were initially notified by CBIC vide CGST (2nd Amendment) Rules, 2017 Notification No. 10/2017 Central Tax dt. 28 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 1 July 2017 (or as may be specified in respective Rules).
|Section-wise/ Rule-wise Text of GST Acts/ Rules|
|CGST Act/ Definitions||CGST Rules|
|IGST Act/ Definitions||IGST Rules|
|UTGST Act/ Definitions||UTGST Rules|