Provisions under Rule 8 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Application for Registration”, are as under:
CGST Rule 8: Application for Registration (Chapter-III: Registration Rules)
(1) Every person, other than a non-resident taxable person, a person required to deduct tax at source under section 51, a person required to collect tax at source under section 52 and a person supplying online information and database access or retrieval services from a place outside India to a non-taxable online recipient referred to in section 14 of the Integrated Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (13 of 2017) who is liable to be registered under sub-section (1) of section 25 and every person seeking registration under sub-section (3) of section 25 (hereafter in this Chapter referred to as “the applicant”) shall, before applying for registration, declare his Permanent Account Number, mobile number, e-mail address, State or Union territory in Part A of FORM GST REG-01 on the common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner:
Provided that every person being an Input Service Distributor shall make a separate application for registration as such Input Service Distributor.
(2) (a) The Permanent Account Number shall be validated online by the common portal from the database maintained by the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
(b) The mobile number declared under sub-rule (1) shall be verified through a one-time password sent to the said mobile number; and
(c) The e-mail address declared under sub-rule (1) shall be verified through a separate one-time password sent to the said e-mail address.
(3) On successful verification of the Permanent Account Number, mobile number and e-mail address, a temporary reference number shall be generated and communicated to the applicant on the said mobile number and e-mail address.
(4) Using the reference number generated under sub-rule (3), the applicant shall electronically submit an application in Part B of FORM GST REG-01, duly signed or verified through electronic verification code, along with the documents specified in the said Form at the common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
(4A) The applicant shall, while submitting an application under sub-rule (4), with effect from 01.04.2020, undergo authentication of Aadhaar number for grant of registration.
(5) On receipt of an application under sub-rule (4), an acknowledgement shall be issued electronically to the applicant in FORM GST REG-02.
(6) A person applying for registration as a casual taxable person shall be given a temporary reference number by the common portal for making advance deposit of tax in accordance with the provisions of section 27 and the acknowledgement under sub-rule (5) shall be issued electronically only after the said deposit.
1. First proviso to sub-rule (1) omitted w.e.f. 1 Feb. 2019 vide Notification 3/2019 Central Tax dt. 29 Jan. 2019.
2. Sub-rule (4A) inserted vide Notification No. 16/2020 Central Tax dt. 23rd March 2020.
It may be noted that the above information is based on Updated CGST Rules 2017 (amended upto 5th May 2020), as compiled/ shared by CBIC (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 5th May 2020 by the CBIC). However, for detailed/ official information and/ or subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications. E&OE
Further, it may be noted that CGST Rules 1 to 26 (pertaining to Chapters on items, like 'Preliminary', 'Composition' and 'Registration') were initially notified by CBIC vide Central Tax Notification 03/2017 dt. 19/06/2017, applicable w.e.f. 22 June 2017 (or as may be specified in respective Rules).
|Section-wise/ Rule-wise Text of GST Acts/ Rules|
|CGST Act/ Definitions||CGST Rules|
|IGST Act/ Definitions||IGST Rules|
|UTGST Act/ Definitions||UTGST Rules|