Provisions under Rule 87 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Electronic Cash Ledger”, are as under:
CGST Rule 87: Electronic Cash Ledger (Chapter-IX: Payment of Tax)
(1) The electronic cash ledger under sub-section (1) of section 49 shall be maintained in FORM GST PMT 05 for each person, liable to pay tax, interest, penalty, late fee or any other amount, on the common portal for crediting the amount deposited and debiting the payment therefrom towards tax, interest, penalty, fee or any other amount.
(2) Any person, or a person on his behalf, shall generate a challan in FORM GST PMT 06 on the common portal and enter the details of the amount to be deposited by him towards tax, interest, penalty, fees or any other amount:
Provided that the challan in FORM GST PMT 06 generated at the common portal shall be valid for a period of fifteen days.
Provided further that a person supplying online information and database access or retrieval services from a place outside India to a non-taxable online recipient referred to in section 14 of the Integrated Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (13 of 2017) may also do so through the Board’s payment system namely, Electronic Accounting System in Excise and Service Tax from the date to be notified by the Board.
(3) The deposit under sub-rule (2) shall be made through any of the following modes, namely:-
(i) Internet Banking through authorised banks;
(ii) Credit card or Debit card through the authorised bank;
(iii) National Electronic Fund Transfer or Real Time Gross Settlement from any bank; or
(iv) Over the Counter payment through authorised banks for deposits up to ten thousand rupees per challan per tax period, by cash, cheque or demand draft:
Provided that the restriction for deposit up to ten thousand rupees per challan in case of an Over the Counter payment shall not apply to deposit to be made by –
(a) Government Departments or any other deposit to be made by persons as may be notified by the Commissioner in this behalf;
(b) Proper officer or any other officer authorised to recover outstanding dues from any person, whether registered or not, including recovery made through attachment or sale of movable or immovable properties;
(c) Proper officer or any other officer authorised for the amounts collected by way of cash, cheque or demand draft during any investigation or enforcement activity or any adhoc deposit:
Provided further that the challan in FORM GST PMT 06 generated at the common portal shall be valid for a period of fifteen days.
Provided further that a person supplying online information and database access or retrieval services from a place outside India to a non-taxable online recipient referred to in section 14 of the Integrated Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (13 of 2017) may also make the deposit under sub-rule (2) through international money transfer through Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication payment network, from the date to be notified by the Board.
Explanation.- For the purposes of this sub-rule, it is hereby clarified that for making payment of any amount indicated in the challan, the commission, if any, payable in respect of such payment shall be borne by the person making such payment.
(4) Any payment required to be made by a person who is not registered under the Act, shall be made on the basis of a temporary identification number generated through the common portal.
(5) Where the payment is made by way of National Electronic Fund Transfer or Real Time Gross Settlement mode from any bank, the mandate form shall be generated along with the challan on the common portal and the same shall be submitted to the bank from where the payment is to be made:
Provided that the mandate form shall be valid for a period of fifteen days from the date of generation of challan.
(6) On successful credit of the amount to the concerned government account maintained in the authorised bank, a Challan Identification Number shall be generated by the collecting bank and the same shall be indicated in the challan.
(7) On receipt of the Challan Identification Number from the collecting bank, the said amount shall be credited to the electronic cash ledger of the person on whose behalf the deposit has been made and the common portal shall make available a receipt to this effect.
(8) Where the bank account of the person concerned, or the person making the deposit on his behalf, is debited but no Challan Identification Number is generated or generated but not communicated to the common portal, the said person may represent electronically in FORM GST PMT 07 through the common portal to the bank or electronic gateway through which the deposit was initiated.
(9) Any amount deducted under section 51 or collected under section 52 and claimed
in FORM GSTR 02 by the registered taxable person from whom the said amount was deducted or, as the case may be, collected shall be credited to his electronic cash ledger in accordance with the provisions of rule 87.
(10) Where a person has claimed refund of any amount from the electronic cash ledger, the said amount shall be debited to the electronic cash ledger.
(11) If the refund so claimed is rejected, either fully or partly, the amount debited under sub-rule (10), to the extent of rejection, shall be credited to the electronic cash ledger by the proper officer by an order made in FORM GST PMT 03.
(12) A registered person shall, upon noticing any discrepancy in his electronic cash ledger, communicate the same to the officer exercising jurisdiction in the matter, through the common portal in FORM GST PMT 04.
Explanation 1.- The refund shall be deemed to be rejected if the appeal is finally rejected.
Explanation 2.– For the purposes of this rule, it is hereby clarified that a refund shall be deemed to be rejected, if the appeal is finally rejected or if the claimant gives an undertaking to the proper officer that he shall not file an appeal.
(13) A registered person may, on the common portal, transfer any amount of tax, interest, penalty, fee or any other amount available in the electronic cash ledger under the Act to the electronic cash ledger for integrated tax, central tax, State tax or Union territory tax or cess in FORM GST PMT 09.
1. In sub-rule (2), First and Second Proviso inserted vide Notification 22/2017 Central Tax dt. 17/08/2017.
2. In sub-rule (3) Second Proviso substituted vide Notification 22/2017 Central Tax dt. 17/08/2017.
3. Second proviso to sub-rule (2) omitted vide Notification 31/2019 Central Tax dt. 28/06/2019.
4. In Sub-rule (9), the text ‘in FORM GSTR 02’ and ‘in accordance with the provisions of rule 87’ omitted vide Notification 31/2019 Central Tax dt. 28/06/2019.
5. Sub-rule (13) inserted vide Notification 31/2019 Central Tax dt. 28/06/2019, pending notification on effective date.
Note: The CGST Rules 2017 along with the prescribed Forms were initially notified vide Central Tax Notifications 3/2017 dt. 19/06/2017 (Rule 1 to 26), 10/2017 dt. 28/06/2017 (Rules 27 to 138) and 15/2017 dt. 01/07/2017 (Rules 139 to 162). These Rules/ Forms were subsequently amended by CBIC through various Notifications issued from time to time. Information on this page is a Rule-wise compilation of Amendments made by all such Notifications, with best possible efforts for accuracy. In any case, E&OE. For official/ updated information, please visit CBIC website.
|CBIC Updates (GST)|
|GST Circulars, Notifications, Press Releases, Orders, etc. issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) in different years, along with Section-wise/ Rule-wise Text of GST Acts/ Rules:|
|CGST: CGST Act/ Definitions, CGST Rules|
|IGST: IGST Act/ Definitions, IGST Rules|
|UTGST: UTGST Act/ Definitions, UTGST Rules|
|CBIC Circulars (CGST/ IGST/ UTGST): 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Central Tax (CGST) Notifications: 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Central Tax Rate (CGST Rate) Notifications: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Integrated Tax (IGST) Notifications: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Integrated Tax Rate (IGST Rate) Notifications: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC UT Tax (UTGST) Notifications: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC UT Tax Rate (UTGST Rate) Notifications: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Compensation Cess Notifications: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Compensation Cess Rate Notifications: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Orders (CGST/ IGST/ UTGST): 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Press Releases: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Note: For Official/ updated copy, please visit the CBIC website.|