Provisions under Rule 9 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Verification of the Application for Registration and Approval thereof”, are as under:
CGST Rule 9: Verification of the Application and Approval (Chapter-III: Registration Rules)
(1) The application shall be forwarded to the proper officer who shall examine the application and the accompanying documents and if the same are found to be in order, approve the grant of registration to the applicant within a period of three working days from the date of submission of the application.
Provided that where a person, other than those notified under sub-section (6D) of section 25, fails to undergo authentication of Aadhaar number as specified in sub-rule (4A) of rule 8, then the registration shall be granted only after physical verification of the principle place of business in the presence of the said person, not later than sixty days from the date of application, in the manner provided under rule 25 and the provisions of sub-rule (5) shall not be applicable in such cases.
(2) Where the application submitted under rule 8 is found to be deficient, either in terms of any information or any document required to be furnished under the said rule, or where the proper officer requires any clarification with regard to any information provided in the application or documents furnished therewith, he may issue a notice to the applicant electronically in FORM GST REG-03 within a period of three working days from the date of submission of the application and the applicant shall furnish such clarification, information or documents electronically, in FORM GST REG-04, within a period of seven working days from the date of the receipt of such notice.
Explanation.- For the purposes of this sub-rule, the expression “clarification” includes modification or correction of particulars declared in the application for registration, other than Permanent Account Number, State, mobile number and e-mail address declared in Part A of FORM GST REG-01.
(3) Where the proper officer is satisfied with the clarification, information or documents furnished by the applicant, he may approve the grant of registration to the applicant within a period of seven working days from the date of the receipt of such clarification or information or documents.
(4) Where no reply is furnished by the applicant in response to the notice issued under sub-rule (2) or where the proper officer is not satisfied with the clarification, information or documents furnished, he shall, for reasons to be recorded in writing, reject such application and inform the applicant electronically in FORM GST REG-05.
(5) If the proper officer fails to take any action, –
(a) within a period of three working days from the date of submission of the application; or
(b) within a period of seven working days from the date of the receipt of the clarification, information or documents furnished by the applicant under sub-rule (2),the application for grant of registration shall be deemed to have been approved.
1. First proviso to sub-rule (1) inserted w.e.f. 1 April 2020, vide Notification No. 16/2020 Central Tax dt. 23rd March 2020.
It may be noted that the above information is based on Updated CGST Rules 2017 (amended upto 5th May 2020), as compiled/ shared by CBIC (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 5th May 2020 by the CBIC). However, for detailed/ official information and/ or subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications. E&OE
Further, it may be noted that CGST Rules 1 to 26 (pertaining to Chapters on items, like 'Preliminary', 'Composition' and 'Registration') were initially notified by CBIC vide Notification No. 3/2017 Central Tax dt. 19 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 22 June 2017 (or as may be specified in respective Rules).
|Section-wise/ Rule-wise Text of GST Acts/ Rules|
|CGST Act/ Definitions||CGST Rules|
|IGST Act/ Definitions||IGST Rules|
|UTGST Act/ Definitions||UTGST Rules|