Section 126 of CGST Act 2017: General Disciplines related to Penalty
Provisions under Section 126 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 relating to “General Disciplines related to Penalty”, are as under:
Section 126 of CGST Act 2017: General Disciplines related to Penalty (CHAPTER XIX – OFFENCES AND PENALTIES)
(1) No officer under this Act shall impose any penalty for minor breaches of tax regulations or procedural requirements and in particular, any omission or mistake in documentation which is easily rectifiable and made without fraudulent intent or gross negligence.
Explanation: For the purpose of this sub-section,–
(a) a breach shall be considered a ‘minor breach’ if the amount of tax involved is less than five thousand rupees;
(b) an omission or mistake in documentation shall be considered to be easily rectifiable if the same is an error apparent on the face of record.
(2) The penalty imposed under this Act shall depend on the facts and circumstances of each case and shall be commensurate with the degree and severity of the breach.
(3) No penalty shall be imposed on any person without giving him an opportunity of being heard.
(4) The officer under this Act shall while imposing penalty in an order for a breach of any law, regulation or procedural requirement, specify the nature of the breach and the applicable law, regulation or procedure under which the amount of penalty for the breach has been specified.
(5) When a person voluntarily discloses to an officer under this Act the circumstances of a breach of the tax law, regulation or procedural requirement prior to the discovery of the breach by the officer under this Act, the proper officer may consider this fact as a mitigating factor when quantifying a penalty for that person.
(6) The provisions of this section shall not apply in such cases where the penalty specified under this Act is either a fixed sum or expressed as a fixed percentage.
Govt. has notified the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 on 12 April, 2017 followed with various CBIC Notifications on commencement date for various Sections/ Provisions thereof from time to time. Govt. has further notified the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) (Amendment) Act, 2018 on 30 Aug. 2018 followed with CBIC Notification on commencement date of various Sections/ Provisions thereof from 1 Feb. 2019 vide Notification No. 2/2019 Central Tax dt. 29 Jan. 2019 except for amendments where the date of commencement is different from 1 Feb. 2019 and has specifically been mentioned in the CGST Amendment Act, 2018 itself.
|Other GST Related Posts:|
|Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST):|
|CGST Act/ Definitions||CGST Rules|
|CGST Notifications||CGST Circulars|
|Integrated Goods and Services Tax (IGST):|
|IGST Act/ Definitions||IGST Rules|
|IGST Notifications||IGST Circulars|
|Union Territory Goods and Services Tax (UTGST):|
|UTGST Act/ Definitions||UTGST Rules|
|UTGST Notifications||UTGST Circulars|