Section 25 of CGST Act 2017: Procedure for Registration
Provisions under Section 25 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 relating to “Procedure for Registration”, are as under:
Section 25 of CGST Act 2017: Procedure for Registration (CHAPTER VI – REGISTRATION)
(1) Every person who is liable to be registered under section 22 or section 24 shall apply for registration in every such State or Union territory in which he is so liable within thirty days from the date on which he becomes liable to registration, in such manner and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed:
Provided that a casual taxable person or a non-resident taxable person shall apply for registration at least five days prior to the commencement of business.
[Provided further that a person having a unit, as defined in the Special Economic Zones Act, 2005, in a Special Economic Zone or being a Special Economic Zone developer shall have to apply for a separate registration, as distinct from his place of business located outside the Special Economic Zone in the same State or Union territory.]$1
Explanation: Every person who makes a supply from the territorial waters of India shall obtain registration in the coastal State or Union territory where the nearest point of the appropriate baseline is located.
(2) A person seeking registration under this Act shall be granted a single registration in a State or Union territory:
Provided that a person having multiple business verticals in a State or Union territory may be granted a separate registration for each business vertical, subject to such conditions as may be prescribed.
Provided that a person having multiple places of business in a State or Union territory may be granted a separate registration for each such place of business, subject to such conditions as may be prescribed.]$2
(3) A person, though not liable to be registered under section 22 or section 24 may get himself registered voluntarily, and all provisions of this Act, as are applicable to a registered person, shall apply to such person.
(4) A person who has obtained or is required to obtain more than one registration, whether in one State or Union territory or more than one State or Union territory shall, in respect of each such registration, be treated as distinct persons for the purposes of this Act.
(5) Where a person who has obtained or is required to obtain registration in a State or Union territory in respect of an establishment, has an establishment in another State or Union territory, then such establishments shall be treated as establishments of distinct persons for the purposes of this Act.
(6) Every person shall have a Permanent Account Number issued under the Income-tax Act, 1961 in order to be eligible for grant of registration:
Provided that a person required to deduct tax under section 51 may have, in lieu of a Permanent Account Number, a Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number issued under the said Act in order to be eligible for grant of registration.
(7) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (6), a non-resident taxable person may be granted registration under sub-section (1) on the basis of such other documents as may be prescribed.
(8) Where a person who is liable to be registered under this Act fails to obtain registration, the proper officer may, without prejudice to any action which may be taken under this Act or under any other law for the time being in force, proceed to register such person in such manner as may be prescribed.
(9) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1),–
(a) any specialised agency of the United Nations Organisation or any Multilateral Financial Institution and Organisation notified under the United Nations (Privileges and Immunities) Act, 1947, Consulate or Embassy of foreign countries; and
(b) any other person or class of persons, as may be notified by the Commissioner
shall be granted a Unique Identity Number in such manner and for such purposes, including refund of taxes on the notified supplies of goods or services or both received by them, as may be prescribed.
(10) The registration or the Unique Identity Number shall be granted or rejected after due verification in such manner and within such period as may be prescribed.
(11) A certificate of registration shall be issued in such form and with effect from such date as may be prescribed.
(12) A registration or a Unique Identity Number shall be deemed to have been granted after the expiry of the period prescribed under sub-section (10), if no deficiency has been communicated to the applicant within that period.
$1. Second Proviso to sub-section (1) inserted*, i.e. separate registration requirement introduced for SEZ unit or SEZ developer.
$2. Proviso to sub-section (2) substituted*, i.e. earlier reference to requirement of separates business verticals for separate registration not there now as the definition of the term “Business Vertical” has been omitted.
* Notified vide CGST (Amendment) Act, 2018.
The Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 was notified by Govt. of India on 12 April, 2017 and CBIC has notified the commencement date for various Sections/ Provisions thereof from time to time. Subsequently, Govt. has notified the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) (Amendment) Act, 2018 on 30 Aug. 2018. Further, CBIC has separately notified the commencement date of provisions of various Sections of the CGST (Amendment) Act 2018 vide Notification No. 2/2019 Central Tax dt. 29 Jan. 2019, except for sections where the date of commencement is different from 1 Feb. 2019 and has specifically been mentioned in the CGST Amendment Act, 2018 itself.
|GST Related Posts:|
|Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST)|
|CGST Act/ Definitions||CGST Rules/ Forms|
|CGST Notifications||CGST Rate Notifications|
|CGST Circulars||CGST Orders|
|Integrated Goods and Services Tax (IGST)|
|IGST Act/ Definitions||IGST Rules/ Forms|
|IGST Notifications||IGST Rate Notifications|
|IGST Circulars||IGST Orders|
|Union Territory Goods and Services Tax (UTGST)|
|UTGST Act/ Definitions||UTGST Rules/ Forms|
|UTGST Notifications||UTGST Rate Notifications|
|UTGST Circulars||UTGST Orders|