Provisions under Section 35 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 relating to “Maintaining Accounts and Other Records”, are as under:
Section 35 of CGST Act 2017: Maintaining Accounts and Other Records (CHAPTER VIII – ACCOUNTS AND RECORDS)
(1) Every registered person shall keep and maintain, at his principal place of business, as mentioned in the certificate of registration, a true and correct account of—
(a) production or manufacture of goods;
(b) inward and outward supply of goods or services or both;
(c) stock of goods;
(d) input tax credit availed;
(e) output tax payable and paid; and
(f) such other particulars as may be prescribed:
Provided that where more than one place of business is specified in the certificate of registration, the accounts relating to each place of business shall be kept at such places of business:
Provided further that the registered person may keep and maintain such accounts and other particulars in electronic form in such manner as may be prescribed.
(2) Every owner or operator of warehouse or godown or any other place used for storage of goods and every transporter, irrespective of whether he is a registered person or not, shall maintain records of the consigner, consignee and other relevant details of the goods in such manner as may be prescribed.
(3) The Commissioner may notify a class of taxable persons to maintain additional accounts or documents for such purpose as may be specified therein.
(4) Where the Commissioner considers that any class of taxable person is not in a position to keep and maintain accounts in accordance with the provisions of this section, he may, for reasons to be recorded in writing, permit such class of taxable persons to maintain accounts in such manner as may be prescribed.
(5) Every registered person whose turnover during a financial year exceeds the prescribed limit shall get his accounts audited by a chartered accountant or a cost accountant and shall submit a copy of the audited annual accounts, the reconciliation statement under sub-section (2) of section 44 and such other documents in such form and manner as may be prescribed.
Provided that nothing contained in this sub-section shall apply to any department of the Central Government or a State Government or a local authority, whose books of account are subject to audit by the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India or an auditor appointed for auditing the accounts of local authorities under any law for the time being in force.
(6) Subject to the provisions of clause (h) of sub-section (5) of section 17, where the registered person fails to account for the goods or services or both in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (1), the proper officer shall determine the amount of tax payable on the goods or services or both that are not accounted for, as if such goods or services or both had been supplied by such person and the provisions of section 73 or section 74, as the case may be, shall, mutatis mutandis, apply for determination of such tax.
1. Proviso to Section 35(5) of the CGST Act, 2017 inserted vide Section 16 of the CGST (Amendment) Act, 2018: GOI Notification dt. 30 Aug. 2018, effective from a date to be notified later in the Official Gazette. Thus Compulsory Audit by a chartered accountant or a cost accountant (where turnover exceeds Rs. 2 crore during a Financial Year) not applicable for Government companies which are subjected to CAG audit.
Govt. has notified the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 on 12 April, 2017 followed with various CBIC Notifications on commencement date for various Sections/ Provisions thereof from time to time. Govt. has further notified the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) (Amendment) Act, 2018 on 30 Aug. 2018 followed with CBIC Notification on commencement date of various Sections/ Provisions thereof from 1 Feb. 2019 vide Notification No. 2/2019 Central Tax dt. 29 Jan. 2019 except for amendments where the date of commencement is different from 1 Feb. 2019 and has specifically been mentioned in the CGST Amendment Act, 2018 itself.
|Section-wise/ Rule-wise Text of GST Acts/ Rules|
|CGST Act/ Definitions||CGST Rules|
|IGST Act/ Definitions||IGST Rules|
|UTGST Act/ Definitions||UTGST Rules|
We have recently started sharing updates using Telegram App. In case you are using the Telegram app, then please JOIN our Channel 'CA Club Updates', using the link below (from a device where you are already logged in to Telegram App):