Section 51 of CGST Act 2017: Tax Deduction at Source (TDS)
Provisions under Section 51 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 relating to “Tax Deduction at Source (TDS)”, are as under:
Section 51 of CGST Act 2017: Tax Deduction at Source (CHAPTER X – PAYMENT OF TAX)
(1) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Act, the Government may mandate,–
(a) a department or establishment of the Central Government or State Government; or
(b) local authority; or
(c) Governmental agencies; or
(d) such persons or category of persons as may be notified by the Government on the recommendations of the Council,
(hereafter in this section referred to as “the deductor”), to deduct tax at the rate of one per cent. from the payment made or credited to the supplier (hereafter in this section referred to as “the deductee”) of taxable goods or services or both, where the total value of such supply, under a contract, exceeds two lakh and fifty thousand rupees:
Provided that no deduction shall be made if the location of the supplier and the place of supply is in a State or Union territory which is different from the State or as the case may be, Union territory of registration of the recipient.
Explanation: For the purpose of deduction of tax specified above, the value of supply shall be taken as the amount excluding the central tax, State tax, Union territory tax, integrated tax and cess indicated in the invoice.
(2) The amount deducted as tax under this section shall be paid to the Government by the deductor within ten days after the end of the month in which such deduction is made, in such manner as may be prescribed.
(3) The deductor shall furnish to the deductee a certificate mentioning therein the contract value, rate of deduction, amount deducted, amount paid to the Government and such other particulars in such manner as may be prescribed.
(4) If any deductor fails to furnish to the deductee the certificate, after deducting the tax at source, within five days of crediting the amount so deducted to the Government, the deductor shall pay, by way of a late fee, a sum of one hundred rupees per day from the day after the expiry of such five days period until the failure is rectified, subject to a maximum amount of five thousand rupees.
(5) The deductee shall claim credit, in his electronic cash ledger, of the tax deducted and reflected in the return of the deductor furnished under sub-section (3) of section 39, in such manner as may be prescribed.
(6) If any deductor fails to pay to the Government the amount deducted as tax under sub-section (1), he shall pay interest in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (1) of section 50, in addition to the amount of tax deducted.
(8) The refund to the deductor or the deductee arising on account of excess or erroneous deduction shall be dealt with in accordance with the provisions of section 54:
Provided that no refund to the deductor shall be granted, if the amount deducted has been credited to the electronic cash ledger of the deductee.
The Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 was notified by Govt. of India on 12 April, 2017 and CBIC has notified the commencement date for various Sections/ Provisions thereof from time to time. Subsequently, Govt. has notified the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) (Amendment) Act, 2018 on 30 Aug. 2018. Further, CBIC has separately notified the commencement date of provisions of various Sections of the CGST (Amendment) Act 2018 vide Notification No. 2/2019 Central Tax dt. 29 Jan. 2019, except for sections where the date of commencement is different from 1 Feb. 2019 and has specifically been mentioned in the CGST Amendment Act, 2018 itself.
|GST Related Posts:|
|Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST)|
|CGST Act/ Definitions||CGST Rules/ Forms|
|CGST Notifications||CGST Rate Notifications|
|CGST Circulars||CGST Orders|
|Integrated Goods and Services Tax (IGST)|
|IGST Act/ Definitions||IGST Rules/ Forms|
|IGST Notifications||IGST Rate Notifications|
|IGST Circulars||IGST Orders|
|Union Territory Goods and Services Tax (UTGST)|
|UTGST Act/ Definitions||UTGST Rules/ Forms|
|UTGST Notifications||UTGST Rate Notifications|
|UTGST Circulars||UTGST Orders|